Ten Traits of Successful CoPs
(Melcrum’s Knowledge Management Review Jan/Feb 2003)
I’ve summarised these in my own words! Lets keep these in mind going forward.
1. Clear business proposition
2. Good Leader
3. Clear knowledge map
4. Easy process for sharing knowledge
5. Website or similar for collaboration
6. Communication and training
7. List of CoP members – kept up to date
9. Measurement of success
10. Agenda for first 3-6 months
Also, remember the ‘Goldfish Principle’ from this article. Too much food or lack of food = poorly fish! In other words, if you over or under police a CoP it is likely to fail.